Combustion creates Carbon Monoxide (CO), a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. CO produced by the combustion in your furnace is exhausted up to the chimney and out of your home. However, a furnace that is out of adjustment can leave CO in your home. You should install a Carbon Monoxide detector in your furnace room to help protect yourself and others from CO poisoning. It is also recommended to install detectors on every level of your home, especially in sleeping areas. If the detector indicates any build up of Carbon Monoxide at any time, immediately have your furnace professionally inspected.
A professional tune up every few years is a good investment and will help to keep your furnace running efficiently. Consider having annual tune ups and maintenance done on any oil-fired furnace, since they can quickly generate dangerous soot deposits and CO if not properly cleaned and adjusted. The professionals are the people who have the skills and equipment to ensure that any parts that may degrade over time are still functioning properly in your furnace.