HELPFUL TIPS FOR USING YOUR AIR CONDITIONER:
- Always keep all windows and doors, to the outside, closed.
- Don’t cool unoccupied rooms. If you have registers, don’t close more than half of them. Restricting air flow too much can cause your unit to malfunction.
- Do you have a ceiling fan? Set the thermostat higher – you will still be comfortable. Keep a fan on low speed when humid.
- When you are not at home, set your thermostat at 78F, or higher. Setting the thermostat lower, cools a warm room colder, not faster, and it uses more energy.
- Consider getting a programmable thermostat for central units, especially if you are away from home at the same times during the week. Some programmable thermostats can be controlled from your computer or smart phone.
- Keep lamps, televisions and other electronics away from a room unit’s thermostat. The thermostat can sense their heat, which may cause the air conditioner to run longer than necessary.
- Consider calling in a professional air conditioning maintenance contractor to tune up your air conditioner before the cooling season. A tune up will maximize your comfort in the summer, help your air conditioner last longer and run better, and save on monthly energy bills.