Carbon Monoxide is responsible for sending 20,000 to the emergency room every year. 400-500 people die from carbon monoxide poisoning every year. If you have any gas appliance in your home it needs to be inspected yearly . If your appliance is not checked for carbon monoxide it could be causing you or your loved ones to feel sick or sleepy all the time.
Carbon monoxide detectors can be purchased from any home improvement store. The basic one cost is around $20. There are better products that have a digital read out to give you peace of mind. Make sure to read the packaging to see how the detector works. Some do not go off until the readings reach 30 ppm. This could be dangerous to an elderly person or for someone who is on oxygen. They would need a detector that will alert at 5ppm.
Furnaces,water heaters,fireplaces,gas stoves and boilers all should be inspected yearly and test for carbon monoxide. ‘