Boilers were among the first of whole home heating systems, so they’ve been around a long time – but don’t let that imply they are not up to date with today’s standard for energy efficiency. Today’s boilers have average efficiency ratings of 89%, in addition to providing other benefits for your home heating. But quality installation is just as important as having good equipment, so if you are ready to install a boiler in Northern Colorado, make sure you call the people you can trust: Ace Hi Plumbing, Heating and Air.
Two Types of Boilers
Boilers are part of a hydronic system, meaning they use hot water or steam to heat your home. There are two ways in which the water can be heated
With a water tube boiler, the water is held inside metal tubes that are heated on the outside via flames or hot gases. In a fire tube boiler, the opposite occurs : tubes are placed inside the water container; the tubes are then heated with combustion gases. and the heat from the tubes transfers into the water. The two most common fuels used are gas and oil, but other fuels like wood or wood pellets can also be used.
Advantages of Boiler Systems Comparative to Furnaces
Boiler systems have a few advantages that make them attractive to homeowners:
- Good for allergy sufferers – hydronic systems do not rely on forced air distribution, instead utilizing radiant heating systems or radiators. As such, there is no circulating dust to worry about, which can be very beneficial should you have allergy sufferers in your home.
- Even gradual heating – the heating of a boiler system is very gradual, as outlet points radiate the heat as opposed to blowing it out, as with a forced-air system.
- Easy zoning – the piping used with a boiler system can be easily zoned then duct-work. Also allows for more comfort from room to room with designated zones.
- Quiet operation – the only time you hear noise is when your boiler is heating the water in your system, otherwise, the operation is very quiet.
- Retains heat longer for better over all efficiency. With a furnace, if you open your door you lose a lot of your heat and have to recover that gradually. With a boiler your heat stays retained within the pipes keeping your floors warmer with significantly less heat loss.
Hydronic heating is a safe, comfortable and economical way to heat your home. Hydronic systems circulate hot water through baseboards, radiators and or radiant tubing in your floors or ceilings. There are many advantages to heating your home using a hydronic system, whether it is a new install or retrofit for your existing system.
The Importance of Boiler Maintenance
One of the most significant reasons why good boiler maintenance is so important is because it helps prevent unexpected shutdowns which could not only be inconvenient but also costly for after hours calls. Getting set up on a scheduled boiler maintenance and inspection helps increase the life of your boiler and takes all the worry out of the last minute service calls.
This scheduled maintenance is especially important to check for leaks on your flues and heat exchanger. If your flue or heat exchanger is damaged from lack of maintenance you are putting you and your family at risk of Co2 exposure. Your boiler technician will check for Co2 levels to make sure your family is safe against this silent killer. This also goes for a heat exchanger on your furnace.
Side Arm Tanks
Side arms tanks are used so that the boiler can provide both space heating and domestic hot water (DHW). The tank stores a consistent temperature water similar to a hot water tank so when there is a call for heat in the home your hot water use will not be compromised. These can really make a huge difference in your home comfort if you already have a boiler without a sidearm that also provides DHW for your home. The thermal mass of the side arm tank stabilizes domestic hot water delivery temperature during long demand periods. This help reduce fluctuation in delivery temperature throughout your daily use.
Boilers have been around a long time for good reasons. If you think a boiler system in Loveland is a good fit for you, call Ace Hi Heating and Air Conditioning, Today and schedule an appointment with one of our installation specialists.